Middle Department News 19 May 2023
Wellyboot Camp 2023
What an amazing Wellyboot Camp we had last week! The children have been writing about their experiences and it is clear that this was a real adventure for them. I will quote from some of 3O and 3D’s work to explain what we did:
- Firstly, we heaved all of our stuff from the classroom to the pavilion on the front field. .
- We had lots of fun playing the Roman Escape Room and our team of slaves did escape Rome first and got our independence and ended up with 55 coins!
- We had doughnuts and then played some amazing games. My favourite games were ‘Splat’ and ‘Hit the Deck’ and I loved archery.
- Then we had lunch. It was absolutely delicious!
- Later we had to pitch our tents. I liked this because I liked the idea of being able to retreat into the tent when I wanted to.
- I was very excited to pitch the tent and get all cosy.
- I loved the survival game because I learnt some interesting facts and I loved trying to dodge the very annoying teacher water pistols.
- Then we had dinner which was really tasty. There were hotdogs, burgers and fries and suddenly Bruce appeared and we gave him fun walks.
- We had a campfire and in fire lighting Lila had a spark which didn’t work and after 100 times it lit. Yay!
- I also really enjoyed toasting marshmallows and watching the flaming hot fire go out and have some chatting time with my friends.
- Mr Darcy took us on a bat walk and I didn’t see any and my socks were wet. Before the bat walk I saw a rainbow which was so big!
- I saw 7 bats and then we went into the secret passageways under the school.
- When it started raining we had to shelter inside the tents. This was quite scary as most of the tents were filled with sleeping bags.
- I went to sleep and slept for a very long time.
- My tent slept very well and they did not snore.
- When night fell we whispered in our tents and read a story
- Some people ate mealworms, they were disgusting!
- We did bat watching in the pouring rain, it was a real adventure
- One of our activities was archery, I became chief archer
- The saddest part was leaving, it was a Jam packed 36 hour period that I will never forget
I wonder if your children can find their quote? You can tell from these excerpts that the two days they spent outdoors were filled with activities and excellent opportunities to make new friends. It also gave them the chance to grow in confidence as they encountered new experiences and overcame their fears. We were incredibly proud of them all. You can watch highlights from their camp out here
3P are busily preparing their assembly for next week. All parents are invited to attend, but it will be 3P performing. We would like to say an enormous thank you to all the staff who gave up their time to support us throughout the course of the two days and an especial thank you to those who gave up a good night’s sleep to help us create these memories for the Year 3s.
We’re going on a Bug Hunt!
In Science this week we have been learning about the classification of animals.
We used Caroll Diagrams, Venn Diagrams and Decision Trees to help us sort in different ways. We took advantage of the gorgeous weather and the beautiful woods to go on an invertebrate hunt (thank you to Micheal Rosen for his wonderful poem for our inspiration).
The woods were full of amazing creatures and the children and adults loved this activity. We worked in groups to gather, observe and sketch them and carefully replace them back into their environment.
It is hard to believe that we only have one more week until the half term break and we have already packed in so much this term. We look forward to seeing many of you at the Home cricket matches on Thursday.
Have a lovely weekend!
The Year 3 Team